Friday, July 24, 2015

#98 Time to Show Off Your Wiggles

I'm kind of sad that the sew along is over, it has been a lot of fun, and quite a learning experience!
Our FaceBook Group grow to over 80; we had so many encouraging posts along the way when anyone hit a snag; and let's not forget our go getter, Marg...who had her quilt top made and quilted before anyone even started piecing theirs!! And even though there were more followers than sewers, everyone seemed so thrilled with the pattern and wanting to make one of their own at some point!! !!! I couldn't be happier for my first attempt at a sew along. I hope you all feel the same.

More happy news....I have also had some fun things happening with the blog itself, which is a total bonus for all of you too...I found some great blog sponsors, who also sponsored the sew along. I'd like to introduce you to or re-introduce you if you have been following my blog for awhile,  another amazing Canadian online Quilt shop that now also has a store front in Stittsville, Ontario....


Pam's was one of the first shops I found online, and I have been shopping there ever since. The customer service is fantastic, love the modern fabrics she carries, and the monthly stash builder bundle sales, as well as the quick delivery turn around!! 

10 Over Coffee with Pam from Mad About Patchwork

It was fun to get to know Pam better, we've chatted a few times about fabric, but it is so nice to get a sneak peak of the person behind the quilt shop.......so in her own words, here's Pam.

What would you like us to know about yourself? Or as I like to say...name, rank and serial number. 
Small town girl, from Woodstock Ontario. Studied math and computer science in another lifetime. Moved to Ottawa 20 years ago to raise a family. Quilt shop owner for 7+ years. Denyse Schmidt is my quilting muse, and I was thrilled to take her workshop at Quiltcon 2013.


Do you have any hobbies? And do you have any time for them now?
Of course I like to sew, and still make time for both quilt and garment sewing whenever I can. I like to do some bicycle riding in the summer with my husband...we've got a 100k ride coming up later in July which will test my endurance (wow, I'm impressed!!)my words

What is your favourite and least favourite part of making a quilt?
 The excitement of actually starting a new project is probably my favourite thing, and also my least favourite thing. Sometimes I get stalled on making the decisions, which fabric, which pattern, etc. I love it when everything finally falls into place.

What made you think about opening a Quilt Shop in the first place, and why did you originally choose an online store?
I was bored with my part-time work in a local optometrist office, and wanted the flexibility to work from home. At the same time I was becoming aware of the fabulous fabrics that I could find online...but only in the US. I thought it was time for a Canadian presence in the online fabric scene.

What did your learn in the first years of your business that would have helped you to know ahead of time?
If I had known all the challenges I was going to face along the way I might not have started down this path. It's a bit like a long distance bike race- I stay focused on enjoying the ride and let the road unfold in front of me

In the last year you've opened a brick and mortar store front, in Stittsville Ontario, what brought this about?
I ran the business as online only from my home for 6 years, but in the last year I had more local quilters wanting to come to the house to shop. It was getting a bit unmanageable and I thought it was time to separate work from home. A fantastic spot just down the road presented itself to me....so I couldn't say no!!!

What changes did this bring to your already established online business?
More than I realized....back to Q#5! I have to manage my time better, and manage more staff. Orders still have to get shipped out on time (within a day) regardless of what's going on in the shop. On the plus side, it's been good because I can carry more inventory, which means more choices for customers.

What is your favourite part of owning your own quilt shop?
I love my customers....it's so rewarding to see the projects they share, online or in the shop. The quilting communtiy is fantastic, and I love being a part of it.

How would your describe Mad About Patchwork? What should we know as customers?
From the beginning I have carried fabrics that I love, and would want to use myself in a quilt project. There are lots of bundles and precast in the shop for those who want a quick start to a project. 
If you're looking for solids we keep more than 200 bolts of Kona Solids in stock, and this year we have added Freespirit Designer Essential solids to the mix, and will be hosting the Denyse Schmidt modern solids trunk show in the fall. 
We carry a limited inventory of books and patterns, but are always happy to special order items for customers (even full bolts of Kona and Designer Essential solids, at a 10% discount, I have taken advantage of this deal by about 10 bolts, lol) 
The shop focuses mainly on quilting cottons and Essex cotton/linen, but we are also adding other substrates like voiles, lawns, knits and double gauze for garment sewing.
We are offering 2 Clubs this summer (click on either to be taken to more information)

  1. Moda Frivols Club Starting in August
  2. Cotton + Steel Club is shipping later this month


Anything else you'd like to share that I missed asking about?
I have stopped blogging for the summer so I can play a bit more with the other social media channels like IG (@madaboutpatchwork) and FaceBook, so readers can follow us there for shop news and updates.


More Fun for You!!

Show us your Wiggles!! 

If you've been following along, or just found us, you still have time... complete your quilt top...and post a picture to the pinned post on our Facebook group page by next Friday July 31st, Midnight EST, to enter your name for all the great sponsored prizes!! That's it! If you haven't joined, please do......but I will also be checking Instagram for the #wigglemecolourful and #wigglemecolorful and will be adding these names to the draw bucket too. So if you are in the Facebook group and on Instagram you just doubled your chances at a prize!!

Here is the list of Sponsored prizes


$25.00 Gift Certificate



$50.00 Gift Certificate


$25.00 Gift Certificate

And if that isn't enough reason......


Cantik Batik Strip pack

and
 an offer you just can't afford to pass up.....

Rita is generously offering
Everyone in the FaceBook Group who finishes their quilt top or has even started your quilt top, and posts a picture (within the pinned post) a $15.00 Gift Certificate   

Yup, you read that right, everyone!!      

So what are you waiting for head over to Facebook and sign up and get sewing!!           


1 comment:

  1. Sandy, this has been a wonderful experience, and I am so happy I joined. I won't have my quilt finished by 31st,husband Hugh has spinal surgery at a much larger hospital 2.5 hours from our home on 27th, so I will be away for several days after that. The bonus is, I can get to visit fabric shops in Wellington and choose something that will be the first border. And guess... Hugh has already said " This is for our bed" so it does need to be a bit larger. I do hope you have another sew-a-long at some stage. and so many thanks for all your helpful words and suggestions, to me and to us all. Best wishes to everyone for entering, from Jean

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!! I would love to hear from you, so please leave a comment, idea, or question!!

This post was originally posted on UpstairsHobbyRoom.blogspot.ca . If you are reading this post anywhere else, it is without my permission.